Welcome to Year 1 at New Scotland Hill!
Hello and Welcome to Year 1,
Our P.E days for Spring term are: Monday and Wednesday. On these days, please come into school wearing your P.E kits.
Can I recommend that whenever possible each child has a set of spares shoes that can be kept in school.
We do plan for as much learning outdoors as possible! So can all children dress for the unpredictability of the British weather (coats, scarfs, hats, gloves, wellies).
This term in Year 1 we will be learning all about the topic of explorers; these will be from the past as well as the present day.
The History part:
We discover information about 'Famous Individuals':
- Christopher Columbus and Neil Armstrong – learning all about their significant journeys.
- Identify and name modern day explorers.
- A comparison of explorers from the past and now including:
- Equipment, clothing, food, travel.
Curriculum objectives: events beyond living memory that are significant nationally or globally.
Questions we aim to answer this term:
- What did Columbus discover?
- Where did Neil Armstrong explore?
The Geography part:
- We uses atlases and maps to deepen our locational knowledge – we look at the names of the oceans and continents.
- We also look at weather patterns and seasonal changes in the UK. To deepen our understanding of:
- Why are some places hot/cold?
- In which season do we get wind/rain/snow/fog/ice/sun?
- Name and locate the world’s seven continents and five oceans understand geographical similarities and differences through studying the human and physical geography of a small area of the United Kingdom, and of a small area in a contrasting non-European country.
We continue to follow White Rose curriculum in Maths and the Year 1 topic overview can be found on the Maths Curriculum page by clicking here.
In English we are continuing to read a range of books - and maybe even get a visit from an alien! In our writing we are continuing to focus our learning on capital letters and full stops. We also deepen our understand of the importance of adjectives and nouns in our sentences.
Mr Cradock and Miss Taylor
P.s. please feel free to contact me via email with any questions, concerns, ideas and for updates!
Click these links to get information on the vocabulary that we use with the children in English, Maths and Science lessons.