Welcome to Year 1 at New Scotland Hill!
Hello and Welcome to Year 1,
Our P.E days for Summer term are: Monday and Wednesday. On these days, please come into school wearing your P.E kits.
Can I recommend that whenever possible each child has a set of spares shoes that can be kept in school.
We do plan for as much learning outdoors as possible! So can all children dress for the unpredictability of the British weather (coats, scarfs, hats, gloves, wellies).
This term in Year 1, as we notice the season change from spring to summer our learning in topic will be about hot and cold places.
Questions we aim to answer this term:
- Why are some parts of the planet hotter?
- Why is the weather different across the world?
- How do different areas prepare for their weather?
- How does Little Sandhurst compare with…
The Geography part:
- We uses atlases and maps to deepen our locational knowledge – we look at the names of the oceans and continents.
- A comparison of the U.K to a hot place.
- A comparison of the U.K to a cold place.
- Name and locate the world’s seven continents and five oceans understand geographical similarities and differences through studying the human and physical geography.
- Identify seasonal and daily weather patterns in the United Kingdom and the location of hot and cold areas of the world in relation to the Equator and the North and South Poles.
- Use basic geographical vocabulary to refer to:
- Explore key physical features, including vocabulary: beach, cliff, coast, forest, hill, mountain, sea, ocean, river, soil, valley, vegetation, season and weather
- Discover how to spot key human features, including: city, town, village, factory, farm, house, office, port, harbour and shop
- Use world maps, atlases and globes to identify the United Kingdom and its countries, as well as the countries, continents and oceans studied at this key stage.
We continue to follow White Rose curriculum in Maths and the Year 1 topic overview can be found on the Maths Curriculum page by clicking here.
In English we are continuing to read a range of thought provoking books. In our writing we are continuing to focus our learning on capital letters and full stops. We also deepen our understand of the importance of adjectives and nouns in our sentences.
Mr Cradock and Miss Taylor
P.s. please feel free to contact me via email with any questions, concerns, ideas and for updates!
Click these links to get information on the vocabulary that we use with the children in English, Maths and Science lessons.