Welcome to Year 5
Here you will find all the information you need to know about the goings on in Year 5.
Our topic this term will be The Greek Legacy where we will be spending time learning about Ancient Greeks. Our learning will include:
- Studying the geography of Greece.
- Finding out about the Greek Gods including creating a family tree.
- Discovering what life was like during the period including how the area was governed and the importance of the arts.
- Identifying how the Ancient Greeks have influenced modern day Britain.
Within our topic work, we will also be developing our art and D.T. skills through activities which will include:
- Designing and making Greek pots.
- Designing and creating models of Greek architecture.
Throughout our topic, we will be considering the following key questions and using our research and knowledge to answer them at the end of term:
- What was it like to be an Ancient Greek?
- What did 'power' mean to the Ancient Greeks?
- How have the Ancient Greeks influenced modern day Britain?
Additional details about our topic learning can be found here.
Our English units of work this term will be based around the following books:
Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
The Lost Happy Endings by Carol Ann Duffy and Jane Ray
For details about curriculum coverage of our English units, please click here.
Our Guided Reading book this half term is:
Who Let the Gods Out? By Maz Evans
We continue to follow White Rose curriculum in Maths and the Year 5 yearly topic overview can be found on the Maths Curriculum page by clicking here.
For a more detailed breakdown of curriculum coverage during the Spring term, please click here
PE days will be on Tuesday and Thursday. Please come to school wearing your PE kit on these days, but bring your school uniform in a separate bag for you to change into if you get wet during your PE lesson.
Please ensure you bring your reading book, reading record and water bottle to school every day.
Miss Charlton and Miss Taylor
Communicating with school:
For general things e.g. lost jumper, wearing trainers etc, please contact Miss Charlton using the updated messaging function on Seesaw.
For more significant concerns or worries, please email email@example.com with FAO Miss Charlton Class teacher in the subject.
Any changes to school pick up should go through the school office.