Welcome to Year 3
Happy New Year and welcome to an exciting 2024.
Here you will find all the information you need to know about the goings on in Year 3.
Our topic this term is called The War of the Roses and The Tudors, a history topic, in which we will discover how the Tudor family came to power, what impact their decisions had on influencing areas of our life today and the role of Tudor explorers in shaping future generations understanding of the world. This will be done through:
· Finding out about who were the two different sides in the War of the Roses and why it started
· Thinking about the value of different sources, paintings, accounts written several years later, eyewitness accounts and the influence of bias and propaganda when investigating the role Richard III played in the disappearance of the Princes in The Tower
· Using paintings from artists of the time as a source to tell us about the character of Henry VIII
· Looking at the reasons why Henry VIII married six times and the impact and repercussions that had on religion in England.
· Comparing the symbols of wealth and poverty in Tudor times – using photographs of Tudor buildings still in existence.
· Finding out about the influence Shakespeare has had on literature and some of the language which we use today.
· Investigating crime and punishment in Tudor times and comparing to previous work on Anglo- Saxons
· Looking at maps before, during and after Tudor times to understand the impact Tudor explorers had on discovering new countries and developing knowledge of the world.
Throughout our learning, we will be considering three big enquiry question, using our research and newly acquired knowledge to answer them.
How did the Tudors earn their place on the throne?
What impact did the Tudors have on our lives today?
How can we link Tudor explorers to our favourite bag of crisps?
Our Science topic this halfterm will be all about Animals, including humans.
In this unit we will learn about:
- identifying that animals, including humans, need the right types and amount of nutrition, and that they cannot make their own food
- how animals, including humans get nutrition from what they eat
- how that humans and some other animals have skeletons and muscles for support, protection and movement
We continue to follow White Rose curriculum in Maths and the Year 3 topic overview can be found on the Maths Curriculum page by clicking here.
For a more detailed breakdown of curriculum coverage during the Spring term, please click here.
Our English units of work for this halfterm will be based around these fantastic books:
The Pied Piper of Hamelin by Michael Morpurgo
The Last Garden by Rachel Ip
The White Fox by Jackie Morris
For details about curriculum coverage of our English units please click here.
Our PE days will be Wednesday and Friday.
On these days the children need to come to school in their school PE kit
with their school uniform packed to change into if they get very wet during a PE lesson.
Please remember jogging bottoms when the weather turns colder.
Please ensure you bring reading book & reading record,
water bottle and healthy snack to school every day.
The Year 3 team is Mr Leivers and Mrs Boese and Mrs Everitt.
Year 3 Topic